Logo - Belgian Tourist Office

Home > Destinations > Charleroi

Charleroi - Overview

Charleroi was built in 1666 by the Spaniards and named after Charles II, king of Spain, only a 4-year-old child when he was placed on the Spanish throne after the death of his father Philip IV.

The following year, the fortress was taken by French armies and it was under French occupation. Fortifications were completed and extended by Vauban.
Louis XIV, who wanted to promote the development of the new town, granted its inhabitants privileges.

In 1678, under the treaty of Nijmegen, Charleroi was given back to Spain.

A first industrial change based on coal, iron, and glass industries brought about a rise in Charleroi’s population.

Bookmark and Share

Belgian Tourist Office Wallonia 217 Marsh Wall London E14 9FJ Tel: 0207 531 0390 info@belgiumtheplaceto.be